Current:Home > NewsFastexy:Eight Las Vegas high schoolers face murder charges in their classmate’s death. Here’s what we know -MoneyBase
Fastexy:Eight Las Vegas high schoolers face murder charges in their classmate’s death. Here’s what we know
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:08:43
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Eight Las Vegas high school students between the ages of 13 and Fastexy17 years old were arrested on murder charges in the beating death of a schoolmate that was captured on cellphone video.
Jonathan Lewis Jr., 17, was hospitalized with severe head trauma and other injuries after the Nov. 1 attack and died a week later, according to police.
The fight appeared to be over a pair of headphones and a vape pen, police said, and the students had agreed to walk to an alleyway around the corner from campus to fight after classes ended for the day at Rancho High School in eastern Las Vegas.
Here’s what to know about the case:
WHAT’S NEW IN THE INVESTIGATION?
Authorities arrested the eight students Tuesday on suspicion of murder charges. But they believe at least 10 students took part in the beating.
Police on Wednesday released images of two students taken from cellphone video of the fight and asked for the public’s help in identifying them. Homicide Lt. Jason Johansson said the two will also face murder charges.
A police spokesperson said Thursday morning that there were no updates on additional arrests.
WILL THE TEENAGERS BE CHARGED AS ADULTS?
In Nevada, a teenager accused of murder can be charged as an adult if they were 13 or older at the time of the crime.
By law, teenagers 16 or older accused in a killing are automatically transferred to the adult court system. That’s why a family court judge on Wednesday transferred the cases of four of the eight students, who are all 16 or 17.
None of the students who were arrested have been formally charged, and The Associated Press is not naming them.
Hearings will be held at later dates to determine if the students under 16 will be charged as adults.
WHAT HAPPENED ON THE DAY OF THE ATTACK?
The fight broke out after school let out that day. Police said they believe a pair of wireless headphones and vape pen had been stolen from the victim’s friend earlier in the week, which resulted in the students agreeing to meet in the alleyway to fight.
Detectives think the victim wasn’t originally supposed to be involved in the brawl, but he walked to the alleyway with his friend after school, Johansson said.
The victim’s father, Jonathan Lewis Sr., said on a fundraising page created to help with funeral and medical costs that his son was attacked while standing up for his friend.
The video of the fight shows the victim taking off his shirt to prepare for the fight, and then the 10 students “immediately swarm him, pull him to the ground and begin kicking, punching and stomping on him,” Johansson said.
He called the video “very void of humanity” and said the victim was not defending himself as he was being attacked.
After the brawl, a person in the area found the victim badly beaten and unconscious and carried him back to campus, where school staff called 911, Johansson said.
Homicide detectives were called on the day of the attack to lead the investigation due to the severity of the victim’s injuries, he said.
WHAT IS HAPPENING AT THE SCHOOL NOW?
Rancho High School’s principal, Darlin Delgado, said in a letter to parents this week that support and resources were available for students and staff members, as the beating death “has and will continue to impact our school community.”
Two weeks after the brawl, a small memorial with flowers and candles still sat against a fence in the alleyway where Lewis was attacked.
On Wednesday, there was a visible police presence at the school and around the campus as classes ended for the day, with marked school district police vehicles and uniformed officers patrolling the area.
The Clark County School District — the fifth largest in the nation, with about 300,000 students — has its own police department that has nearly 200 officers.
The district’s police chief, Mike Blackeye, said his agency has been partnering with police in Las Vegas and neighboring North Las Vegas to provide increased police coverage at the school in the morning, lunchtime and after school, which is when he said fights typically break out.
DOES THE SCHOOL HAVE RESOURCE OFFICERS?
Blackeye said there are two resource officers assigned to Rancho High School, both of whom were on duty that day. He said they didn’t hear about the prearranged fight before it happened.
At a news conference Tuesday, he said fights have broken out in the same alleyway before, but he stopped short of calling it a problem area, pointing out that fights have happened “all around that school, in parks and neighborhoods.”
veryGood! (9785)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- ExxonMobil loses bid to truck millions of gallons of crude oil through central California
- Emirati and Egyptian central banks agree to a currency swap deal as Egypt’s economy struggles
- Menendez will address Senate colleagues about his bribery charges as calls for his resignation grow
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Powerball jackpot nears $1 billion after no winners: When is the next drawing?
- Cher accused of hiring four men to kidnap son Elijah Blue Allman, his estranged wife claims
- Hispanic Influencers Share Curated Fashion Collections From Amazon's The Drop
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- With Damian Lillard trade, Bucks show Giannis Antetokounmpo NBA championship commitment
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- As thaw accelerates, Swiss glaciers lost 10% of their volume in the last 2 years, experts say
- House Speaker McCarthy is back to square one as the Senate pushes ahead to avert a federal shutdown
- Who won 'AGT'? Dog trainer Adrian Stoica, furry friend Hurricane claim victory in Season 18 finale
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- US guitarist Al Di Meola suffers a heart attack in Romania but is now in a stable condition
- Hundreds attend funeral for high school band director who died in bus crash
- Spotted lanternfly has spread to Illinois, threatening trees and crops
Recommendation
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Taylor Swift has power to swing the presidential election. What if nothing else matters?
Kendall Jenner Explains What Led to Corey Gamble Feud
Police raid Spanish soccer federation amid probe into Barcelona payments to referee exec
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Tropical Storm Rina forms in the Atlantic Ocean, the National Hurricane Center says
Famous 'Sycamore Gap tree' found cut down overnight; teen arrested
M.S. Swaminathan, who helped India’s farming to grow at industrial scale, dies at 98